Do I Have a Virus on My Computer? Here’s How to Tell.

V

VIPRE Security

Like human viruses, computer viruses are highly contagious. Once they infect your device, computer viruses replicate and wreak havoc throughout your operating system. The damage can be severe. Viruses can corrupt software, make programs unusable, and delete important files. A virus can also target your hard drive, which can alter your system performance or even crash it entirely.

Viruses can also give hackers access to your machine, allowing them to pillage your data. This not only can destroy your privacy; it can also have devastating financial consequences.

Considering our increasing dependence on technology, none of these outcomes are ideal. With that in mind, you should be doing everything possible to prevent your computer from getting viruses. Here’s everything you need to know about computer viruses, from how they occur to how to prevent them, what operating systems can get them, and what to do if your device does get infected.

How do computers get viruses in the first place?

There isn’t one single way all computers get viruses, but one of the most common ways is through downloading infected files. Oftentimes, these files are free to download and include pirated content such as films, televisions shows, music, and even games.

Another common way computer viruses spread is via malicious links. These links are commonly distributed through email and text messages in a cyber attack method known as phishing. Phishing attacks act as a bait and switch. They try to make these links seem legitimate and enticing, but send users elsewhere. Sometimes, these malicious links also appear on illegitimate websites trying to pose as legitimate ones.

Additionally, viruses are often found on external hard drives, such as USBs. When you plug them into your device, your device becomes infected.

Can Macs get viruses?

It seems common knowledge that Windows computers can get viruses, but what about Macs? Apple and their Mac products have a longstanding reputation of being virus-proof. This good reputation isn’t entirely undeserved, but it also isn’t entirely accurate either.

Macs are less susceptible to viruses than Windows computers, but they can absolutely get them. In fact, Mac viruses are far from rare. So while Mac users may be slightly less likely to get viruses than Windows users, you still can’t let your guard down if you have a Mac. To ensure your Mac remains virus-free, you should still take the same precautions.

How do I know if I have a virus on my computer?

Even if you’re not a tech expert, there are several indicators that may suggest the presence of a virus on your computer. These indicators include:

• Difficulty restarting or shutting down your computer
  • Slow performance when opening files, programs, software, links, etc
  • Frequent unexpected pop-ups
  • Missing or corrupted documents and files
  • Frequent errors messages
  • Frequent system or program crashes
  • Frequent URL redirects
  • Presence of new apps or programs you don’t remember downloading
  • Presence of emails in your outbox you don’t remember sending
  • Overactive hard drive fan, even when you are using significant processing power

How do I prevent my computer from getting a virus?

There are two important components of virus prevention:

1. Antivirus software
  2. You

For the first component, VIPRE has you covered with a full security suite of home protection products. These offerings include options for Mac users, so you can protect your device no matter what operating system your computer has. With VIPRE, your computer will be guarded with a number of Antivirus features, including real time scans and malware, spyware, and ransomware detection and removal. VIPRE also updates automatically to ensure there are no lapses in your protection.

While VIPRE’s Antivirus protection is comprehensive, you still remain a crucial component of virus prevention. Think of VIPRE as the last line of defense, and yourself as the first. VIPRE will work to mitigate any threats you’re unable to deal with, but you can still make your computer vulnerable if you let your guard down. For example, VIPRE cannot prevent you from plugging an infected USB drive into your computer. So, it’s important you remain alert when you’re surfing the web.

Follow these tips to reduce your chances of getting infected:

• Never click on suspicious links online, or in your inboxes. If a message seems suspicious, confirm with the sender in a separate line of communication if possible, or manually log into the relevant online account to confirm its authenticity.
  • Only use SSL protected websites, which are indicated by a closed padlock in the URL address bar.
  • Be extra mindful when downloading anything online – only download for legitimate sources.
  • Regularly backup your computer.
  • Always keep your software and applications up-to-date.

What should I do if my computer does get a virus?

If your computer is showing signs that it has been infected with a virus, manually start a full VIPRE system scan. If VIPRE detects a virus, simply follow the prompts. If VIPRE detects a threat that you deem safe, you can add it to the “Always Allowed” list so that it won’t be detected in future scans. Otherwise, VIPRE will quarantine the threat in a safe place so that it cannot harm your computer. If you need further assistance, the VIPRE support team is always happy to help.

In extreme cases, or cases where you didn’t have active Antivirus protection, you may need to uninstall then reinstall your operating system, restore a previous backup version, or have a professional assist you.

Keep in mind that the cost and ease of preventing viruses with VIPRE is far less than cleaning up the damage done by harmful viruses. So always ensure your VIPRE Antivirus protection is active, and maintain safe online behavior to keep your system secure.

The post Do I Have a Virus on My Computer? Here’s How to Tell. appeared first on VIPRE.