Planting the Seeds of Success in Your Kids

• Thread starterJim Daly with Paul Batura
  • Start date
J

Jim Daly with Paul Batura

Parents often dream about their children becoming doctors, astronauts, or business executives. They help their children along that path by helping them develop specific talents or academic excellence.

The trouble with that approach, according to parenting expert Dr. Kevin Leman, is that it focuses on what our children will become, rather than who they’ll become.

To correct course, Dr. Leman offers parents eight strategies for raising successful kids:

1. Start with the end goal in mind.
  2. Expect the best, get the best. Conversely, if you expect the worst from your child, you’ll get the worst.
  3. Give and you shall receive.
  4. Model a disciplined life.
  5. Discipline. Don’t punish.
  6. Stay the course.
  7. Minimize friction. Optimize solutions.
  8. Always prioritize your relationship with your child.

Instilling Christian character in your children is a worthwhile pursuit, but it’s difficult. Dr. Leman is with us on our Focus on the Family Broadcast “Planting the Seeds of Success in Your Kids” with tips for assessing your approach to parenting and for emphasizing who your children will become, rather than what they’ll become. Listen to our full conversation on your local radio station, online, on iTunes, via Podcast, or on our free phone app.

Before I close, I’d like to remind you about the “Give Families Hope” campaign here at Focus on the Family. Generous friends are matching every donation you make to this ministry. Which means your gift will go twice as far toward rescuing hurting marriages, equipping parents, and giving families hope.

I’d like to extend an invitation for you to become a special partner with us through our monthly “Friends of Focus on the Family” program. When you do, I’ll send you a copy of Dr. Leman’s book, 8 Secrets to Raising Successful Kids: Nurturing Character, Respect, and a Winning Attitude as a way of saying thank you for touching others with the love of Christ. You’ll also receive member-exclusive benefits. To make your pledge, or for more information, visit our website or call 1-800-A-FAMILY (232-6459).

The post Planting the Seeds of Success in Your Kids appeared first on Jim Daly.