Podcast Episode 250: Comedian Charlie Demers on Modern-Day Fatherhood

B

Brandie Weikle

Thanks so much for coming by to check out Episode 250 of The New Family Podcast, where we talk about what it’s like to be a dad today.

For this 250th episode of the podcast we’re taking a look at the state of modern fatherhood. First we’re talking to stand-up comedian, writer and political activist Charlie Demers. He’s one of dozens of notable Canadians who, through interviews, have contributed to a great new book of essays called 40 Fathers: Men Talk About Parenting. The book was written by family counsellor and writer Tessa Lloyd, who joins us in the second part of this episode to talk about what compelled her to gather the points of view of dads at this particular time.

Here are some resources related to this episode.​

podcast-episode-250-comedian-charlie-demers-on-modern-day-fatherhood-book-cover.jpg
Forty Fathers: Men Talk about Parenting
Tessa lloyd’s website
Charlie’s official website
Related Episode: New Priorities of Millennial Dads

Related Episode: How Stay-at-Home Dads are Treated at Work and Play

Related Episode: Power Wives and House Husbands

Related Episode: Dad of 8 on Raising Kids Who Have a Sense of Purpose

Related Episode: 40 Things I Wish I’d Told My Kids
Related Episode: Sharing the Emotional Labour of Parenthood

Related Episode: Raising Boys With Positive Ideas About Masculinity

podcast-episode-250-CharlesDemers2018_creditJoshuaBerson.jpg

What Charlie wishes he could say to every new dad​

“When I am told by anyone that they are about to have a kid, that they are about to become a father – the thing that I tell them is just that it is the greatest thing in the world, to ignore the people making the kind of clumsy, oafish jokes around them. It will bring new meaning to their lives and that that I am incredibly happy for them.”

podcast-episode-250-Forty-Fathers-Tessa-Lloyd-686x1024.jpg

What Tessa hopes people would get out of reading the book​

“Start wherever you are and go to wherever you feel like in terms of making changes. I really hope that fathers will be more aware of what it is that they want. So kind of, to be able to begin with the end in mind – to picture the kind of relationship with your child and make sure that your actions are in line with that.”

Are you a fan of the show? We’d dearly love your support.

Click here to visit our Patreon page and find out how you can become of a patron of the show to help us cover our costs. For as little as $1 per month you can help ensure the podcast will always be available.

Here are all the ways you can subscribe and listen to our show:

Subscribe to The New Family Podcast in iTunes

Subscribe to The New Family Podcast on SoundCloud

Subscribe to The New Family Podcast on Stitcher Radio

Subscribe to The New Family Podcast on these other Android Directories

Subscribe to The New Family Podcast by RSS

Listen in our feed in LibSyn!

The post Podcast Episode 250: Comedian Charlie Demers on Modern-Day Fatherhood appeared first on The New Family.
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.