Remembering the Pilgrims’ Journey

• Thread starter Jim Daly with Paul Batura
  • Start date
J

Jim Daly with Paul Batura

For a lot of us, Thanksgiving is about family, football, and pumpkin pie. We don’t often reflect on the origin – and therefore the true meaning – of the holiday. Doing so is a great way to deepen our gratitude for the opportunity to live in a nation so blessed by God.

With that in mind, while you’re fixing your Thanksgiving feast today, or heading over to Grandma’s in the car, tune into our Focus on the Family Broadcast “Remembering the Pilgrims’ Journey.”

Jay Milbrandt, a professor at Bethel University in Minnesota, is with us to peel back the layers of history and get us back to what the first Thanksgiving was all about. He began researching the Pilgrims after he discovered that his ancestors came to America on the Mayflower. He’s written about what he learned in his book, They Came for Freedom: The Forgotten, Epic Adventure of the Pilgrims.

For example, did you know that North America was actually the Pilgrims’ second choice? Professor Milbrandt explains why and describes how the Pilgrims and Puritans fought for survival in the New World. He also explains the significance of the Mayflower Compact and explores the origins of our modern-day Thanksgiving celebration.

Join us on your local radio station, online, on iTunes, via Podcast, or on our free phone app. I know you’ll enjoy our conversation with Jay Milbrandt.

Before I close, I’d like to remind you about our end-of-year campaign here at Focus on the Family. Generous friends are matching every donation you make to this ministry. Which means your gift will go twice as far toward rescuing hurting marriages, equipping parents, and giving families hope.

With your gift of any amount, we’ll send you a copy of Jay’s book They Came for Freedom: The Forgotten, Epic Adventure of the Pilgrims. (For more information, visit our website.)

Happy Thanksgiving!

The post Remembering the Pilgrims’ Journey appeared first on Jim Daly.