Salvianolic acid A alleviated inflammatory response mediated by microglia through inhibiting the activation of TLR2/4 in acute cerebral ischemia-reper

G

greenmedinfo

PMID: Phytomedicine. 2021 Jul ;87:153569. Epub 2021 Apr 15. PMID: 33985878 Abstract Title: Salvianolic acid A alleviated inflammatory response mediated by microglia through inhibiting the activation of TLR2/4 in acute cerebral ischemia-reperfusion. Abstract: BACKGROUND: Toll-like receptor 2 and Toll-like receptor 4 (TLR2/4) on microglia have been found as important regulators in the inflammatory response during cerebral ischemia/reperfusion (I/R). In China, traditional Chinese medicine Salvia miltiorrhiza (danshen) and its some components are considered to be effective in rescuing cerebral I/R injury through clinical practice.HYPOTHESIS/PURPOSE: Here we examined the effect of Salvianolic acid A (SAA), a monomer compound in the water extract of Salvia miltiorrhiza, on TLR2/4 of microglia and its mediated inflammatory injury during cerebral I/R in vivo and in vitro.STUDY DESIGN: For exploring the effect of SAA on cerebral I/R and TLR2/4, classic middle cerebral artery occlusion (MCAO) model and oxygen glucose deprivation / reoxygenation (OGD/R) model of co-culture with primary hippocampal neurons and microglia in vitro were used. Signal pathway research and gene knockout have been applied to further explain its mechanism.METHODS: The evaluation indexes of I/R injury included infarct size, edema degree and pathology as well as primary hippocampal neurons and microglia culture, ELISA, western, RT-PCR, HE staining, immunofluorescence, flow cytometry, siRNA gene knockout were also employed.RESULTS: SAA significantly improved the degree of brain edema and ischemic area in I/R rats accompanied by decreases in levels of interleukin-1β (IL-1β) and tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-α). Pathological staining revealed that SAA could reduce inflammatory cell infiltration and mcirogila activation after reperfusion. Both protein and gene expression of TLR2 and TLR4 in ischemic hemisphere were obviously inhibited by SAA treatment while changes were not found in the non-ischemic hemisphere. In order to further study its mechanism, OGD/R model was used to mimic inflammatory damage of ischemic tissue by co-culturing primary rat hippocampal neurons and microglial cells. It was found that SAA also inhibited the protein and gene expression of TLR2 and TLR4 after OGD/R injury in microglia. After TLR2/4 knockout, the inhibitory effect of SAA on IL-1β and TNF-α levels in cell supernatant and neuron apoptosis were significantly weakened in each dose group. Moreover, expression levels of myeloid differentiation factor 88 (MyD88),NFκB, IL-1β and IL-6 in TLR2/4 mediated inflammatory pathway were reduced with SAA treatment.CONCLUSION: SAA could significantly reduce the inflammatory response and injury in cerebral ischemia-reperfusion in vivo and in vitro, and its mechanism may be through the inhibition of TLR2/4 and its related signal pathway.
read more