5 Things You Truly Need When You Get A Dog

A

Ali Smith

It’s really difficult to know what you need, but if you strip it back to basics? Here’s what you truly need.

Other than Love (which comes as a pretty obvious one, I hope!), your dog or puppy, doesn’t need much – 5 things… makes it sound really simple, doesn’t it? But some of these are things that money can’t buy…

Your dog is an investment.

Your puppy is an investment.

and taking care of that investment? Is what probably makes a dog the most rewarding thing money can buy for us humans.

This pug is happy, for sure! But what does this pug need to be happy?

This pug is happy, for sure! But what does this pug need to be happy?

1 – Training​

All dogs need training. That’s why I do what I do. The key to a good dog (after good breeding!) is good training. That’s why I’ve got Pupdates for you, to start you off on the right foot. And even better, I’m releasing an online obedience school to help you guys become a phenomenal team with your dog. So start with pupdates if you have a puppy, and get in touch if you fancy some online training! Which I know you’ll rock with me guiding you!

2 – Quality food​

Food that comes from a great source is always preferable. I feed mainly raw, if I’m honest, and I’m a big fan of it, but I know it’s not for everyone. I struggle when it comes to kibble brands? But my best tip is to look for high protein – and then the bag with the highest proportion of ingredients you can name.

3 – Toys​

Whether it’s a basic stuffed toy, or interactive toys that keep your puppy thinking and stimulating their minds, toys are really important for bonding and getting their natural needs met! If you’re wondering about what to get? Because dog toys are in such broad array – Here’s my Recommended Best Puppy Toys (and they’re all available on amazon!).

4 – Insurance​

Insurance is one of those things you may consider for your dog or puppy. It’s often hard to predict what’s going to happen with your dog, but knowing that you have back up would be great, right? Now I’m not going to say I know the perfect insurance provider, because I don’t. But it’s often worth it to save you from later heartache. If you want an alternative to insurance? Pawp is also pretty good – I like how they work, that’s for sure! They’ll give $3,000 of back-up.

5 – Patience!​

This is the one you can’t buy and it’s totally priceless.

Your dog will test you, heck, even yesterday, my lot decided they didn’t want to get along, and I was not feeling great and bam – fight breaks out between the two dogs who are normally the easiest! I mean, shock horror?! No injuries, luckily. But I sincerely had to take a deep breath and call on my last reserves of patience.

You can’t buy it? But it’s absolutely imperative with dogs!

If you are struggling with your puppy, take a deep breath and read this.

good sleep definitely comes in amongst the needs of our dogs - but is it critical?

rest definitely comes in amongst the needs of our dogs – but is it critical?

Getting The Fundamentals​

I know some of this is really obvious, but sometimes acing the fundamentals? Is all it takes to start the right way. Once you put the foundations in place? I promise it all begins to fall into place. It’s like everything we do in life.
You plant the seed in the right seasons.

You fix the wall before you paint it.

You do your research before buying a house.

But it’s not simple. So if you need help? That’s what I’m there for. I can take a lot of the thinking out of how to achieve your dreams with your dog, get in touch. I have a solution for you!

Ali from Rebarkable and her dog Indie

Author, Ali Smith​

Ali Smith is the Positive Puppy Expert, dog trainer and is the founder of Rebarkable. She is passionate about helping puppy parents get things right, right from the start. To help create a puppy capable of being a confident and adaptable family member and keep puppies out of shelters.

Ali has won multiple awards for her dog training, and has had her blog (this blog!) rated as 2021’s worlds’ best pet blog!