Corn Pudding

N

Nicole Leggio

Corn-Pudding-6-1-333x500.jpg

Corn pudding is SOO GOOD! It’s creamy, slightly sweet (but with a hint of savory!) and it’s packed with white corn kernels. It makes the perfect side to any dish!

For more easy fall sides, don’t miss these Scalloped Potatoes, Mashed Potatoes, or this Green Bean Casserole. These are all perfect for the holiday season too!

Corn pudding in a white dish.

What is Corn Pudding?​

Corn pudding is one of my favorite fall sides to serve alongside a roast chicken, hearty stew, or of course, turkey! There are a lot of sides that I love around this time of year, but corn pudding has to be at the top of the list! This corn pudding is crispy on the outside, warm and creamy on the inside with sweet corn flavor. Because I love to play on a good sweet and salty factor, I try to balance out the sweetness with a little bit of sautéed onion and garlic.

Of course, corn pudding wouldn’t have its namesake without actual corn. Here, I use corn in three ways. First, with a little bit of cornmeal to mimic the texture of cornbread a little bit. Second, I use frozen corn. I opt to use frozen corn this time of year since it’s usually frozen at its peak. If you still have fresh corn around, then you can totally use that instead! Third, canned cream of corn for the creamy factor we all love about corn pudding! Be sure to serve it straight from the oven and dig in!

Ingredients for Corn Pudding​

This ingredient list is pretty simple! In fact, once you have your corn in hand, you probably already have everything else in your kitchen! See the recipe card below for a list of exact ingredient measurements.

• Butter: It’s no secret – corn pudding is an indulgent dish, so let’s not skimp on the butter. I use unsalted butter, and quite a bit of it. One whole stick to be exact. Of course, it adds richness to the corn casserole itself, but it’s also what I use to sauté the onion and garlic.
  • Onion and garlic: This is where the sweet and salty factor comes in with our corn pudding. Adding a little bit of sautéed onion and garlic, gives you just the kick of savory you want.
  • Flour and Cornmeal: Corn pudding is basically just a play off cornbread, but much creamier and less sturdy. All we need is juuuust enough flour and cornmeal to hold the pudding together a little bit.
  • Eggs: Because corn pudding is, as the name implies, a pudding, I want it to have a custard texture and that means a heavy hand of eggs. I use large eggs!
  • Milk: I like to use whole milk but if you really want to indulge, use heavy cream.
  • Corn: As mentioned before, I like to use frozen or fresh corn instead of canned corn. I find canned corn doesn’t have as much texture and lacks the freshness frozen and fresh corn has. Of course, if that’s all you have on hand, that’s find, just make sure to drain it well.
  • Cream of corn: On the other hand, you can’t get the texture and creaminess of cream of corn with fresh or frozen corn, so I have no qualms using it.
Whisking ingredients into the glass bowl.

Let’s Make Some Corn Pudding!​

This corn pudding is delicious and super easy to make! Plus, it only takes about 45 minutes… and that includes baking time!

1. Preheat and grease the pan: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9×9 baking dish or similar size baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. Cook onion in butter and garlic: Heat a small saute pan over a medium heat. Add butter. Once the butter melts, add onion and garlic and turn the heat to medium-low. Sweat the onion and garlic until slightly softened, about 4-5 minutes. Season with a little salt and pepper. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
  3. Add ingredients, whisk and fold: Add flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, and sugar to a large bowl. Whisk to combine. Add heavy cream, eggs, creamed corn, butter, onion, and garlic. Whisk just until combined. Fold in frozen corn.
  4. Bake: Pour into prepare baking dish and pop in the oven. Bake until golden brown on top, about 30 minutes. The center should be set, but slightly jiggly. Let the corn pudding rest for 3-4 minutes before serving.
Sautéing onions in butter.

Frequently Asked Questions​

Corn pudding is the perfect side dish! But it can be confusing to know which side dish of corn is which! Here is some helpful info!

• What’s the difference between corn pudding, corn casserole and cornbread? Corn pudding has more of a pudding texture. Cornbread is very study and like bread and corn casserole is a good mix between the two!
  • Do you eat corn pudding hot or cold? I say hot all the way! But once it gets to room temperature, it’s still actually very delicious!
Corn pudding in a white dish.

Can I Make Corn Pudding Ahead of Time?​

Yes! If you want to make it ahead of time, I’d suggest under baking it just a touch, and then popping it back into the oven at 325 degrees for about 20 minutes before you’re ready to serve.

Corn pudding with a wooden spoon.

How to Store Leftovers​

If you have some corn pudding leftovers, then you should call yourself lucky! Here’s how you can store it and eat it later!

• Refrigerate: Let the corn pudding cool to room temperature. Then, place it in a sealed airtight container and put it in your fridge. It can last for 3-4 days!
  • Reheat: Just go ahead and reheat it in the oven at 325 degrees for about 20 minutes before you’re ready to serve.

More Side Dishes to Try​

If you need some ideas for any of your holiday meals this fall then you have come to the right place! I have gathered up a couple of my very favorites that everyone love AND they go with just about everything! They are all simple and easy and won’t take up too much extra time! Try one or try them all… You won’t be disappointed!

Side Dishes

Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Side Dishes

Slow Cooker Sausage Herb Stuffing

Stack of 2 lion house rolls

Bread

Lion House Rolls

Side Dishes

Best Ever Glazed Carrots

Corn-Pudding-5-1-250x250.jpg

Print

Corn Pudding​

Corn pudding is SOO GOOD! It's creamy, slightly sweet (but with a hint of savory!) and it's packed with white corn kernels. It makes the perfect side to any dish!
Course Side Dish
Cuisine American
Keyword corn casserole, thanksgiving sides
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
0 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 10 people
Calories 196kcal
Author Nicole Leggio
Cost $10

Equipment​

• Mixing Bowl
  • Baking dish

Ingredients​

• 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion (½ small onion)
  • 1 large garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup cornmeal
  • 2 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 3 Tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 4 large eggs
  • 14 ounce canned cream style corn
  • 1 cup frozen or fresh corn

Instructions​

• Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9×9 baking dish or similar size baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
  • Heat a small saute pan over a medium heat. Add butter. Once the butter melts, add onion and garlic and turn the heat to medium-low. Sweat the onion and garlic until slightly softened, about 4-5 minutes. Season with a little salt and pepper. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
  • Add flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, and sugar to a large bowl. Whisk to combine. Add heavy cream, eggs, creamed corn, butter, onion, and garlic. Whisk just until combined. Fold in frozen corn.
  • Pour into prepare baking dish and pop in the oven. Bake until golden brown on top, about 30 minutes. The center should be set, but slightly jiggly. Let the corn...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.