Effect of β-patchoulene on cerebral ischemia-reperfusion injury and the TLR4/NF-κB signaling pathway.

G

greenmedinfo

PMID: Exp Ther Med. 2019 May ;17(5):3335-3342. Epub 2019 Mar 12. PMID: 30988709 Abstract Title: Effect ofβ-patchoulene on cerebral ischemia-reperfusion injury and the TLR4/NF-κB signaling pathway. Abstract: β-patchoulene (β-PAE), an active constituent of theneuroprotective effect ofβ-PAE and the underlying mechanisms on cerebral I/R injury. Following pretreatment with β-PAE (10 mg/kg body weight) by tail intravenous injection for 1 h, Sprague-Dawley rats were subjected to middle cerebral artery occlusion for 2 h and reperfusion for 24 h. The results indicated that pretreatment with β-PAE could diminish the infarct volume, decrease the brain water content, reduce the neurological deficit score and restore the mitochondrial membrane potential, compared with the untreated I/R injury group. Furthermore, cell apoptosis was markedly suppressed by β-PAE, and this effect wasassociated with the decreased apoptosis regulator BAX/apoptosis regulator Bcl-2 expression ratio and caspase-3 activity. In addition, β-PAE significantly inhibited the release of proinflammatory factors, including tumor necrosis factor-α, interleukin (IL)-1β and IL-6. Superoxide generation and malondialdehyde levels were reduced while the levels of glutathione peroxidase and superoxide dismutase were elevated following treatment with β-PAE, indicating the antioxidative role of β-PAE in cerebral I/R injury. Furthermore, the Toll-like receptor 4 (TLR4)/nuclear factor-κB (NF-κB) signalingpathway was inhibited by β-PAE, as demonstrated by the decreased TLR4 expression and nuclear translocation of p65, and increased IκBα level. Taken together, the results suggested that β-PAE may exhibit a neuroprotective effect on cerebral I/R injury in rats through inactivating the TLR4/NF-κBsignaling pathway.
read more